Saturday, January 24, 2009

Must.Love.School.

First week of class. Check.  

I'm in for quite a year.  So much reading and homework and essays and papers and exams.  I wonder what was I thinking?  Oh yeah, I wanted to live in Paris.  I just need to buck up and love my homework, embrace the readings and get back in to writing scholarly and not "for-air" writing.  My Global Internet class seems interesting so far.  The main theory class I could do without though.  The teacher just completely reiterated the readings and basically talked to us for an hour and 20 minutes.   So not loving that class right now.  And in one of my classes i'm one of two people in the class!  There's no hiding in the back of that class!  

Tomorrow Jenn and I are going to the Montmartre area.  It's the artsy area of Paris.  She wants to get some kind of poster to put on her bare wall in her apartment.  My apartment came with some hideous red and yellow poster.  I hate yellow!  I wish I could take it down but I'd have no where to put it if i did take it down.  And it's so huge and I don't want to buy anything more than i have to so i'll live with it.  

I finally got a blanket yesterday!  So much nicer to sleep with a blanket and not shiver under A sheet.  I have a radiator in my room but it doesn't do such a great job of heating the whole room so at night it's pretty freezing.  Hopefully this cold weather won't last too long.  I know summer will be boiling hot so I'm just waiting for Spring so i can enjoy some decent weather here.  And once it warms up I think we're going to go on the Bateaux Mouches so we can stand on the outside deck of the boat.  

Thursday was just a downpour of rain and so much wind!!  Some friends and I went shopping on Thursday (day off!) and I caved and bought an umbrella.  Mistake.  It was so windy that my umbrella kept flipping inside out and eventually broke!  12 euro down the drain!  Same thing happened to Jenn and Crystal's umbrellas.  Both Jenn and I dumped ours in the trash but Crystal somehow managed not to break hers.  I've decided i'm not buying another umbrella.  I don't think they can withstand the winds here.  So when it rains i'll just suck it up and get wet.  A little rain never hurt anyone...right?  Oh well I guess...c'est la vie!

I got to Skype with my parent's today!  It's pretty cool if you have a webcam/mic to use.  If anyone wants to Skype me my screen name is WaterLily_Lily.  I don't think that many people use it but it's totally free to call skype-to-skype and very cheap to call an actual landline/cellphone.  

I took some more interesting (at least i think they are) photos the past few days but I haven't downloaded them yet.  I hope to do that soon and I'll post the links again to facebook.  

~N

No comments: